Installing and Updating
We recommend following the steps on our Hosting page to create the optimal hosting environment for Full-Text RSS.
Installing w/ (S)FTP
- Extract the files in this ZIP archive to a folder on your computer
- Using an FTP client, e.g. FileZilla, upload the files up to your server
- Access index.php through your browser. E.g. http://example.org/full-text-rss/index.php
- If you haven't done so already, click on the link to run the compatibility test to see if your server meets the requirements
- Enter a URL in the form field to test the code
- If you get an RSS feed with full-text content, all is working well.
- Save a copy of
- If you decide to enable caching, make sure the
cachefolder and its 2 sub folders are writable. (You might need to change the permissions of these folders to 777 through your FTP client.)
- If you want to use the admin area to edit/update your site config files, make sure the
site_configfolder and its 2 sub folders are writable. (You might need to change the permissions of these folders to 777 through your FTP client.)
Testing (Optional, PHP 7 only)
You can test Full-Text RSS by trying to enter URLs into the form and checking the result. But if you want to run our test suite, you should follow these steps on a new instance of Full-Text RSS, before making any changes to the configuration file. You will also need SSH access to your server so you can execute commands from a terminal.
Download Codeception.phar from https://codeception.com/codecept.phar and place it inside the root folder of Full-Text RSS (same directory as this README.txt)
codeception.ymland change the URL if you've installed Full-Text RSS in a different location to the one shown.
php codecept.phar run --steps
Each new version of Full-Text RSS comes with an
UPDATING.txt file with step-by-step instructions. Please refer to that.
Generally, updating involves replacing everything with the new version with the following exceptions:
- If you configured the last version, copy
custom_config.phpfrom your old version to the new installation.
- If you added custom site config files (in
site_config/custom/), copy those over to the new installation.